Sanford vetoes TV incentives

By: STAFF Email
By: STAFF Email

June 29, 2010

CHARLESTON, S.C.---Gov. Mark Sanford vetoed incentives for film and TV productions from a budget the state Senate has been working on. The budget already included deep cuts that mean hundreds of state workers and teachers will lose jobs, while others will have to take furlough days.

In the past year, the state paid $7 million in incentives for TV shows filmed in South Carolina. The Lifetime show "Army Wives" came to Charleston in 2006 because of the rebates.

The "Army Wives" crew says they've pumped $100 million into the local economy since then, along with salaries and wages. They say that's kept local businesses from closing, and they also argue TV shows stay in town longer than movies.

"We're not like a feature who comes in and leaves and gets the benefits the state has to offer," said producer Harry Bring. "We're here and give much more than a feature has to offer."

Bring says shows can also boost the profile of a city for tourism, but if the incentives are cut, the show may be over.

Both the South Carolina House and Senate have voted to override Sanford's veto.

Exact numbers on the budget aren't clear yet. The new fiscal year starts Thursday, July 1.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Jack Location: GA on Jun 30, 2010 at 04:52 AM
    South Carolinians put this beast in office for all the wrong reasons and now they are reaping the rewards of their efforts; and to think they were going to foist this THING on us as a presidential candidate...SC should be forced to secede.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 newsroom@wrdw.com Fax: (803) 442-4561
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 97432479 - wrdw.com/a?a=97432479
Gray Television, Inc.