Family wants answers from Sheriff's Office after loved one dies after being tased

George Harvey (WRDW-TV)

George Harvey (WRDW-TV)

News 12 at 6 o'clock / Wednesday, July 3, 2013

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- It's been five days since an Augusta man died after being tased by a Richmond County deputy, but his family still hasn't been contacted by the Sheriff's Office.

Alvera Harvey is George Harvey's sister.

"We have yet to receive any type of anything, even a hello from Richmond County Sheriff's Office. That's the part that makes us more angry than anything," she said.

So, News 12 has been trying to get answers for the Harvey family. On Wednesday, we shared their cellphone video from the scene with GBI Special Agent Pat Morgan.

So far, this is what we know about the case:

  • George Harvey was tased by a deputy and pronounced dead at the hospital Saturday.
  • The three deputies involved are on administrative leave, while the GBI investigates.
  • The family still hasn't seen Harvey's body.
  • The medical examiner is waiting for toxicology results before completing the autopsy report.

Harvey's brother, Jerry, says, "No one from the Richmond County Sheriff's Department has told us anything."

The Harvey family is getting updates on the investigation from the news, instead of directly from the Sheriff's Office, they say.

"They have not come over, haven't told my mom anything, at the hospital, no one said anything," Harvey said.

Family members say they'd just like some compassion.

"Just that we're offering our condolences, and we promise y'all that we'll get to the bottom of what happened, no matter what that outcome may be," Harvey's sister said.

"I just don't think this is the correct way to handle that," Jerry said.

So News 12 will keep digging until the family get the answers they need.

Morgan told us, "We're still conducting interviews with witnesses and waiting on information from autopsy, those lab reports that are pending."

Witnesses at the scene say Harvey was tased multiple times, even after he was handcuffed. The GBI won't release much information until the investigation is complete. Right now, they're waiting to get data off the Taser that will confirm how many times and how long Harvey was tased.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 214201461 -
Gray Television, Inc.