House, family rebuilding after investigators say someone tried to burn it down

Justin Hall and Kyle Capps (WRDW-TV)

Justin Hall and Kyle Capps (WRDW-TV)

News 12 First at Five / Tuesday, June 18, 2013

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- A house is still on the mend after investigators say someone tried to burn it down.

Justin Hall and Kyle Capps are both charged with arson. Detectives say they set a house on fire the Friday of Masters Week.

"It'll last forever. I'll never forget the Friday of Masters Week for the rest of my life," Kevin Tierney said.

The memory of that night is burned into his brain, but not for reasons you might think. That was the night his daughter's house burned to the ground.

"This was a furnished basement," he said as he walked around the empty bottom floor.

A shell of a house, blackened by the fire that destroyed it, was left illuminated by the roof that no longer exists.

"The whole house was a total loss," Tierney said.

The only thing left is a picture that now sits in a singed fireplace and the memories of that night. Tierney's ex-wife, Janice, was in the home when the fire started.

"Janice is sitting here. She hears glass break. She goes over here, opens up Taylor's door, sees the windows on fire," he imitated as he walked News 12 through the house.

Janice got out safely, but two of her four dogs weren't so lucky. One was found dead in the yard. The other, Tierney said, "They found dead in her bed. The dog had hidden under the covers."

Richmond County deputies arrested Hall and Capps. Both are still in jail charged with arson in the first degree.

Tierney says Hall used to date his daughter, and even though he's charged with arson, to him, that night meant something much worse.

"I look at it as he tried to kill my ex-wife and kill my daughter," he reasoned.

Arson Investigator Lt. Carlton Bradley responded to the fire that night. He says he could tell this was no normal fire.

"Just how fast the fire moved from the time the occupant noticed the fire and the time we got there," Bradley said.

According to the report, a highly flammable accelerant was used.

Crews started rebuilding this house last week. Tierney says destruction like this is going to leave scars -- some you can see, others you can't.

"I think they're both still struggling with the reality of what happened. Most likely they're going to sell the house and even probably move out of the state because it was that devastating to them," he explained.

Tierney says Hall, one of the guys accused of setting the fire, was his daughter's ex-boyfriend. He says he's had problems with him before. News 12 found at least three incident reports filed for complaints against Hall for criminal trespass over the past year.

Hall is still in jail, but on June 5, Judge Carlisle Overstreet lowered his bond from $250,000 to $66,000.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 212047631 -
Gray Television, Inc.