- Astronomers have discovered what they say is the most Earth-like planet yet detected -- a distant, rocky world that's similar in size to our planet and exists in the Goldilocks zone where it's not too hot and not too cold for life.
- Authorities say a Utah woman accused of killing six babies that she gave birth to over 10 years told investigators that she either strangled or suffocated the children and then put them inside boxes in her garage.
- Federal land managers abruptly ended the roundup of cattle on public land in southern Nevada owned by a rancher who has refused to recognize their authority, citing a "serious concern" for the safety of employees and the public.
- A couple in California says that a FedEx tractor-trailer was already on fire when it careened across a median, sideswiped their car and slammed into a bus carrying high school students. This revelation Saturday adds a new twist to the investigation of a crash that killed 10 people.
- An Iranian news agency is reporting that an appeals court has overturned a death sentence of an American man convicted of working for the CIA, choosing instead to sentence him to 10 years in prison.
- An official says four students were believed to be seriously injured at a high school near Pittsburgh, where a student with a knife stabbed or slashed others, injuring as many as 20.