Car chase ends in a crash in North Augusta

By  | 

News 12 at 11 O'clock / Saturday, November 2, 2013

Traffic stop turns into a car chase (WRDW-TV)

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) - The final scene had more than a dozen police cars. But it started near the campus of GRU with just one.

"My police officer observed a man speeding, reckless driving and almost ran another citizen off the road," said William McBride, Police Chief at GRU.

He explained to News 12 what happened at the early Saturday morning traffic stop.

"It didn't get very far before the guy pulled a gun on the officer, there were some shots exchanged, no one got hit," he said.

The driver ran over the police officers foot as he took off speeding toward the 13th Street Bridge.

"North Augusta PD happened to be working right there, they intercepted him and they took up the chase," said McBride.

Minutes later, the car crashed. The driver disappeared into the woods off of Georgia avenue.

"North Augusta PD called out their canine unit, tracked him and found him hiding in some bushes," said McBride. "What we just talked about, probably took less than 5 seconds to occur."

But even those few seconds leave a lot of unanswered questions.

Who fired the shots? Why did the driver speed off?

"It's not very often that they pull a gun on an officer, no that's pretty rare for us," he said.

McBride is working with investigators as well as reviewing video from the officer's body camera.

But for now, they're taking it just one step at a time.

"We don't have any idea why the guy was running, if the car was stolen, if the gun was stolen, we don't have any clue, it's just the initial stages of the investigation," he said.


AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) - A routine traffic stop for an GRU police officer lead to a car chase that ended in North Augusta early Saturday morning.

It happened around 1 a.m. at the corner of Wrightsboro Road and Walton Way.

The police officer pulled over the car for speeding and reckless driving. When he approached the car, the driver pulled out a gun, according to the North Augusta Public Safety.

Officers say the officer fired two shots, all before the driver drove off heading towards the 13th Street bridge.

North Augusta Public Safety was notified and took up the chase where it ended in a crash on the 1600 block of Georgia Ave.

The driver took off on foot and was later caught by officers. He is being held at the North Augusta Jail.

Stay with News 12 for more on this developing story.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus