UPDATE: Funeral arrangements set for toddler rescued from fire

By  | 

Monday, Feb. 18, 2013

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- The 2-year-old who was rescued from a fire in Augusta last week has been taken off of life support.

John Thompson was declared brain dead on Saturday night but was on life support so he could be an organ donor.

The arrangements are being handled by C.A. Reid Senior Memorial Funeral Home on Laney-Walker Boulevard.

The visitation is on Tuesday from 2 to 7 p.m., and the funeral is on Wednesday at 3 p.m. Click here for more information.

News 12 at 11 o'clock / Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- The Thompson family is wrestling with the news that their little boy is brain dead.

John Thompson, 2, was rescued from a fire in a Harrisburg home last weekend.

The family says the coroner declared the child brain dead last night, but he's on life support so he can be an organ donor.

"He's been pronounced brain dead ... I think it was around 2:37 yesterday afternoon," said the child's grandmother.

John survived the fire initially, but as the days kept mounting, his condition got worse. Especially yesterday.

"They told us he was going to be taken of life support," said his grandmother, Llateia Hyman.

When Hyman realized there were probably no more birthdays for the toddler, she and the child's mother decided to give John one last opportunity to help someone.

"We decided to donate his organs last night," she said.

Even though she doesn't personally believe in organ donation, Hyman says that decision was made for one reason.

"If it was John that needed an organ, we would definitely want to take it," Hyman said.

She isn't sure who will receive any organs from John, but she is certain of one thing.

"We miss John, but we are OK with whatever God chooses for us," Hyman said.

She says God is what's keeping her strong.

"My faith has been in his hands since," Hyman said.

John's mother says her faith is also keeping her strong, but she thought the worst when she saw the house.

"My baby is gone, because the way that fire looked, it was outrageous" said the toddler's mother.

Despite the loss of life, his grandmother thanks God she had one last chance with John before he left them.

"Looking at the house that he came out of, we know that he could have looked like the house," Hyman said.

Hyman is thankful she could recognize her grandchild, but now she just wants to give him a proper burial and needs help.

"A lot of people think, so many people are responding, so no one is responding," Hyman said.

The family has received some donations but are still several thousand dollars short to cover all the funeral costs. They will set up the Baby John Funeral Fund after the President's Day holiday.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus