Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2012
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. -- South Carolina Electric & Gas has issued a warning about ongoing scams in the area.
Customers have reported calls from people identifying themselves as SCE&G employees. The "employees" demand immediate payment, saying that they will turn off the customer's power if it is not received.
SCE&G sent out the following reminders:
- Bill payments are only accepted at SCE&G business offices, by mail, authorized payment agencies, online or through SCE&G's phone payment provider, BillMatrix, by calling 1-800-450-9160.
- SCE&G typically notifies customers by phone or in writing before an employee is scheduled to arrive at their home to perform any type of work inside the home.
- SCE&G field employees are identified by their blue SCE&G uniforms, a white company ID badge with a photo and marked SCE&G truck.
- If someone arrives unannounced or does not have company identification and introduces themselves as an SCE&G employee, the company recommends calling Customer Service at 1-800-251-7234 for verification or dialing 911 if they feel threatened.
- Keep your family and your personal information safe. Do not give in to high pressure tactics over the phone for financial information or in person to gain access into your home.
If you think you have been affected by this scam, call SCE&G’s customer service department at 1-800-251-7234.