(WRDW) -- Record-low temperatures can mean higher energy use and higher bills.
Georgia Power and SCE&G reminds customers there are options to help them manage energy use.
- Bill Payment Assistance - Georgia Power will work with customers to make short term payment arrangements any time. Customers who need assistance with their bill should contact Georgia Power’s Customer Service at 888-660-5890 or visit a local business office.
- Billing Options - Special rate plans that offer customers the most value aligned with their energy habits and lifestyle. Popular plans include FlatBill, Budget Bill, Nights & Weekends and a discounted rate for senior citizens.
- My Power Usage - A free online service available once residential customers are logged in to their online account, the program provides detailed information about how customers use their energy including when they use the most power, their overall daily usage and even their projected bill.
- Customized, Online Analysis - In addition to My Power Usage, customers may log in to their account for an online Energy Checkup. This includes a snapshot of overall energy use, previous usage and customized recommendations for ways to lower home energy costs.
- Keep it at 68 - The best way to keep power bills low is to use energy wisely by focusing on simple steps such as keeping the thermostat set at 68 degrees or lower in the winter and ensuring that heating vents are free of obstructions like furniture and drapes.
- If you need assistance with your energy bill, South Carolina's Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) may be able to help.
- LIHEAP uses federal funds to help local, low-income residents pay their home energy bills.
- LIHEAP funds are distributed year-round as available. To be eligible, families must meet the federal government standards of a low-income household. This criterion changes every year.
Have information or an opinion about this story? Click here to contact the newsroom.
Copyright WRDW-TV News 12. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished without express written permission.