Only on 12: Cellphone video taken seconds after deadly Taser incident

By  | 

News 12 at 6 o'clock / Tuesday, July 2, 2013

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- In cellphone video taken by a witness, you can see deputies turning George Harvey's body over after he has been tased. They try to shake him alert, but there's no response.

If you look closely, you'll notice Harvey's hands are handcuffed behind his back and his ankles are shackled.

Chiffon Pope, Harvey's fiancee, watched the entire incident unfold.

She says, "He got on his back, straddled him, put him in handcuffs, and the other cop continued to tase him."

The GBI is investigating this death by force case, but they are still waiting to get data off the Taser that will confirm how many times and how long Harvey was tased.

Harvey's sister, Alvera, works at Augusta State Medical Prison and has gone through Taser training herself.

"Had they needed to control him, and they tased him once, I can see that happening, but after he was down, he was already down, all they had to do was put the cuffs on him," she said.

The cellphone video gives some insight to those critical minutes and what appears to be the last few minutes of Harvey's life.

You can hear people comment in the background, saying, "That man ain't breathing, look at his stomach," and, "I ain't seen no CPR, nothing, the man just laying there."

A nurse finally comes through the crowd to check Harvey's pulse. From the time deputies turn Harvey over and find him non-responsive, six minutes and 20 seconds have passed before they begin chest compressions.

Witnesses say they tased Harvey three or four times.

"You have the fire station 30 seconds away, it took the ambulance like 10 minutes to get to the scene when you have the fire station right across the street," Pope said.

Harvey's brother, Jerry, said, "Oh, justice will be done in this. I will make sure of that for my brother."

The Richmond County Sheriff's Office says they will more than likely take another look at their Taser policy after this incident. An autopsy was done on Harvey's body today in Decatur, and News 12 has filed an open records request to get that information.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus