Officials say black mold found in rooms of Augusta motel

By  | 

News 12 at 6 o'clock / Tuesday, July 9, 2013

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- Preston Hardy was among dozens of guests at the Parkway Inn Hotel on Washington Road in Augusta who had their morning turned upside down.

"I was awoken by a bang on my door of the officer raiding the hotel. They said there was mold and everything in the building and we needed to move out and we needed to immediately," Hardy said.

As guests scurried with their belongings, code enforcement officials quarantined nearly two dozen rooms and posted warning signs that the units were "unfit for human habitation."

They lifted up the mattress, they lifted up the shower curtain, the toilet seat and the corners of the carpet to see if there was any mold or roaches. They said it was infested with mold and roaches, says Hardy.

News 12 caught up with one of the hotel's owners, Pariksheet Sareen. We asked him what officials had found.

He told us the mattresses were not good and that they were damp.

But county officials told News 12 they were led to the motel after complaints about unsanitary conditions.

We also asked Sareen how he was it possible not to have known about the unsanitary conditions.

"There used to be inspections all the time. I never have any problems," Sareen said.

He admitted to News 12 that it is not first time officials have found violations at his hotel.

"Before, like one time, because the roof was damaged about
three months back," Sareen said.

Meanwhile for Hardy and other guests, they will have to find another place to stay.

Officials say they also conducted a raid at the Scottish Inn, also in Augusta. It is unclear at this time what was found, if anything.

Initial report:

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- Several rooms in an Augusta motel are off limits after health inspectors made an alarming discovery.

Officials say black mold was found in at least 18 different rooms of the Parkway Inn on the 2800 block of Washington Road.

There are signs on the door of the motel that say “building unfit for habitation.”

The rooms suspected of having mold are closed, but the rest of the motel is said to be open at this time.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus