Neighbors of alleged bomb-maker concerned by lack of communication

By  | 

News 12 at 6 o'clock / Friday, June 7, 2013

Nicholas Holcomb (WRDW-TV)
Nicholas Holcomb (WRDW-TV)

HILDA, S.C. (WRDW) -- The mobile home where deputies and special agents say they found a live bomb sits behind a house on Arrowhead Drive. It's an area of Barnwell County that's normally pretty quiet.

"Unfortunately, we were kind of late hearing about what had happened and what was going on," said Chris Seigler, who lives nearby.

On Wednesday, News 12 was told that agents from the South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division, the Federal Bureau of Investigations and the Barnwell County Sheriff's Office arrested Nicholas Roland Holcomb for possession of a destructive device.

Like other neighbors we talked to, Seigler has a problem with the lack of info from law enforcement. He says at the time of the incident he didn't know if his children were safe. All he had to rely on were rumors on Facebook.

"Actually, it went from a body found to, finally, the truth later that night -- a bomb," he said.

SLED and the Sheriff's Office still aren't releasing much information. News 12 found court records showing Holcomb is charged with having a bomb with an intent to damage, injure or kill. Right now, he's behind bars at the Barnwell County Detention Center on a $75,000 cash bond.

Holcomb's mother told us that agents also confiscated assault rifles from her house that belonged to her son.

"We have four kids at home now, and living in a rural area like this, actually, they were traveling through that area that day with other children and other teenagers," Seigler said.

Meanwhile, Seigler's still in shock that a bomb was found so close to home. He says he just hopes to know he and his kids are safe a lot faster if there's a next time.

"We shouldn't have to rely on social networking or friends calling to let us know what's going on," he said.

Based on a South Carolina court index search, it doesn't look like Holcomb's been in trouble before.

News 12 spoke to his mother again Friday, but she didn't want to say much. She said she doesn't want to jeopardize his case.

Barnwell County Sheriff Ed Carroll said he could not comment Friday.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus