Update: Motorcycle rider identified after police chase

More Video...
By  | 

UPDATE: News 12 at 6 o' clock/ January 15, 2014

Michael Christopher Jackson (WRDW-TV)

AUGUSTA, GA--A traffic stop leads to a police chase through Augusta ending in gun fire and a wreck. It started when deputies tried to stop a man on a motorcycle near the intersection of Windsor Spring Rd. and Tobacco Rd.

The driver, Michael Christopher Jackson, wouldn't stop, and led deputies on a wild and dangerous chase through town.

Randy Johnson saw deputies chasing the motorcycle. "I saw this motorcycle. He was probably doing about 100-110 miles an hour. He come by me, and he flew by me and ya know all of a sudden, I see about 8 or 10 cop cars right behind him," Johnson said.

During the chase, deputies say the driver reached speeds of more than 125 miles per hour. As several deputies joined the chase, they say Jackson started firing shots at them. Soon after, he lost control of his motorcycle, and crashed at the intersection of 15th Street and Broad Street.

"When he hit that water, he laid it down" Johnson said, "and it was just sparks all the way from that red light to there."

Witnesses say he tried to run away, but didn't get very far because of his injuries.

"They arrested him, and put him on the hood of that car and when they searched him, I don't know what they found, but they put it in the evidence bag," Johnson said.

They found meth, cocaine, and $906 in cash in his front pocket. He was taken to GRU, where they found even more cash on him, along with heroin.

Jackson racked up 11 charges during the chase, everything from DUI, to aggravated assault on a police officer, possession of meth, and cocaine with the intent to distribute, fleeing and eluding an officer, and the list continues. And, it turns out this isn't Jackson's first run in with the law. He was convicted of Manufacturing Meth in Henry County back in 2003.

But, for Randy Johnson, who just happened to be sitting at the right stoplight at the right time, it's a scene he'll never forget.

"It's quite an adrenaline rush. Quite exciting," he said.

Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014

RICHMOND COUNTY, Ga. (WRDW) -- The Richmond County Sheriff's Office has released the name of the man deputies say led them on a high speed chase reaching speeds of 125 miles per hour.

Investigators have identified him as 37-year-old Michael Christopher Jackson. He has not been booked yet, but is facing charges that include:

  • Aggravated Assault – Police Officer
  • Possession of a Firearm by Convicted Felon
  • Possession of a Firearm during the Commission of a Crime
  • Possession of Methamphetamine w/ Intent to Distribute
  • Possession of Cocaine w/ Intent to Distribute
  • Possession of Heroin
  • DUI
  • Reckless Driving
  • Fleeing/Attempting to Elude
  • Driving While License Suspended
  • Red Light Violations, etc.

Deputies said they tried to pull Jackson over near the intersection of Windsor Spring Road and Tobacco Road Tuesday night just before 9:30, but they said Jackson took off.

The chase ended at 15th Street and Broad Street where investigators say Jackson lost control of the motorcycle.

During the chase, deputies said Jackson shot at them. The gunfire happened near the intersection of Deans Bride Road and Lyman Street.

Jackson was taken to the hospital for treatment of injuries from the crash. He is expected to survive.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus