Update: Man dies in Waynesboro fire overnight

By: Staff
By: Staff

Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013

WAYNESBORO, Ga. (WRDW) -- The Waynesboro Fire Department confirms a man was found dead in a bedroom after a house fire.

Deputy Chief Robert Parrish says Andrew Sursson, 33, was killed in the fire. Officers say it was a family home.

Fire crews responded to the flames on Savannah Avenue at 4:36 a.m. on Sunday. Crews said heavy fire and smoke came from the kitchen and living room. Fire Investigators believe that unattended cooking by Sursson may have started the blaze.

"My investigator found nothing suspicious about the origin of this tragic fire," Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said.

According to Hudgens' office, two adults and a 6-year old child were also in the home at the time of the fire but escaped unharmed.

After the fire was put out, deputies say Sursson's body was found in a bedroom. His body will be sent to the GBI Crime Lab in Atlanta for autopsy on Tuesday, Waynesboro Fire Department said.

This is the 95th reported fire fatal in Georgia for 2013. Fourteen of those deaths are a direct result of unattended cooking.


WRDW.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 227581911