Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013
WAYNESBORO, Ga. (WRDW) -- The Waynesboro Fire Department confirms a man was found dead in a bedroom after a house fire.
Deputy Chief Robert Parrish says Andrew Sursson, 33, was killed in the fire. Officers say it was a family home.
Fire crews responded to the flames on Savannah Avenue at 4:36 a.m. on Sunday. Crews said heavy fire and smoke came from the kitchen and living room. Fire Investigators believe that unattended cooking by Sursson may have started the blaze.
"My investigator found nothing suspicious about the origin of this tragic fire," Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said.
According to Hudgens' office, two adults and a 6-year old child were also in the home at the time of the fire but escaped unharmed.
After the fire was put out, deputies say Sursson's body was found in a bedroom. His body will be sent to the GBI Crime Lab in Atlanta for autopsy on Tuesday, Waynesboro Fire Department said.
This is the 95th reported fire fatal in Georgia for 2013. Fourteen of those deaths are a direct result of unattended cooking.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.