Kitchen fires more common during holidays


News 12 at 11 O'clock / Wednesday, December 25, 2013

North Augusta, S.C. (WRDW) - Holidays at the wood home are much safer than it's been in the past.

"He checks them every year," said Sandy Wood.

But being cautious now is the result of years of kitchen mishaps that she'll will never forget.

"The pears displaced the juice in the pan and before we knew it, there were flames in the oven," said Wood.

Within seconds, smoke filled the house and they immediately rushed to get everyone out safe.

"It was scary because I thought, oh my gosh, the kids are upstairs, I gotta get them out," she said.

She like many others deal with the same situation. Statistics show unattended cooking is the leading factor in kitchen fires.

"There was no smoke detectors downstairs, and she didn't know that at the time but before we knew it the house filled up with smoke," said Wood.

One thing, Wood and her husband are passionate about. They have three fire detectors within feet of each other.

"You have to be very cautious, because you want your family to be safe number one," she said.

Another incident left Wood with a new outlook on cooking during the holidays.

"I walked into the other room to get something then came back and the flames were up in the ceiling, the bacon grease had caught fire," she said.

Her fire extinguisher was just feet away, giving her enough time to put the fire out before things got too bad.

It's all a lesson learned for wood and she's thankful she and others learned it without injury.

"Good news was she had plenty of other food and it was a great Christmas and nobody was hurt," said Wood.


Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 237256231