Grandmother asking for answer after two year old dies

By  | 

Sunday, August 3rd, 2014

HEPHZIBAH, Ga. (WRDW) -- Family and investigators are searching for answers after a 2-year-old hospitalized for alleged abuse dies.

The coroner confirms Mason Smith died shortly before 6 Saturday night. His mother is still in jail and charged with cruelty to children in the second degree.

"I just don't want to wonder no more," said Dwana Smith.

Dwana Smith has lost two important guys in her life. Two years ago she lost her son, now she's mourning the death of her 2-year-old grandson.

"He was a cute fella. He was cute," said Smith.

On Thursday, a Richmond County Deputy responded to GRU in reference to child abuse. The officer questioned Katherine Smith the 2-year-old's mother. In a report, Smith said she put Mason in the corner in his room for discipline. She left the room, heard a thud, and found the toddler on the floor. Gold Cross was called and took the child to the hospital.

"I can't even wrap my mind around it. It's so unreal," said Smith.

In the report, Smith says that Mason has a syndrome which causes him to hold his breath until he passes out. The 2-year-old was placed on life support, and just before 6 last night little Mason passed away.

"If she did it I want her punished to the full extent," said Smith.

Smith, 39, and a mother of three is behind bars and facing a cruelty to children in the second degree charge. We reached out to the Richmond County Sheriff's Office to see if her charges will be upgraded now that the 2-year-old has died.

They have yet to get back to us, but we spoke to an attorney who says in cases like this, it's up to the autopsy results. If the results come back that a child died from traumatic injury, Smith could face murder charges. If it's just an unusual medical cause, then the case is closed.

"I feel like if she was abusing the baby, I hate to say it, but i feel like he's in a better place with his daddy than having to go through what he went through," said Smith.

Now she's waiting, like everyone else to see what this autopsy says about her grandson's death.

The cause of death is still unknown. An autopsy will be done in Atlanta. As for now, Richmond County Sheriff Office said the case is still under investigation.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus