Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Full video from the forum (Note: It starts about one minute in):
Some highlights from the forum:
- "The Republican party must take control of this government and begin to create jobs, grow this economy and look at the fiscal responsibility required to run this nation."
- "'Obamacare' is the worst piece of legislation ever filed."
- "We have no vision in this country. And when there's no vision, the people perish."
- "I'm fed up with Obama, Barrow for wanting to shove the largest tax increase down our throat in American history and wanting to call it health care reform."
- On the TSPLOST: "We did not do what Obama and Barrow did and shove it down your throat. It's an option for the people."
- On starting in Congress: "I will cut my own salary 20 percent. I will encourage each congressman to follow me."
- "I'm the only candidate here that's been shot at before, and you know, as Churchill said, there's nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at ... especially when they miss the mark."
- "Until we hit detailed entitlement reform ... everything else is lip service."
- "We need term limits, and it's going to take a constitutional amendment to do it."
- On the DREAM Act: "We have to make sure we keep these illegal invaders from entering our country. ... I do not believe there should be a path to citizenship for people who have illegally invaded our country."
- "We have been moving towards a socialist agenda where the liberals in Washington, D.C., are trying to lead us to believe that the government is the answer to all of our questions."
- "Too many people say one thing in the district and go and vote another way in Congress."
Wright McLeod and Maria Sheffield during the forum.
The media panel during the forum.
The candidates all take their seats.
News 12's Richard Rogers talks with Rick Allen and Lee Anderson.
We're half an hour away from the start of the forum, and the room is quickly filling up!
The stage is set, the questions are ready and the crowd is ready to hear what the candidates have to say.
As candidates mingle with their constituents, News 12's crews are on the scene, setting up so you can view the forum in your homes and on wrdw.com.
About the forum:
On July 31, these candidates will face off on the General Primary/Republican Election Ballot. The winner will face Democratic incumbent John Barrow in the November 2012 general election.
Rick W. Allen of Augusta, Ga.
Occupation: General contractor
Lee Anderson of Grovetown, Ga.
Occupation: Farmer and businessman
Wright McLeod of Augusta, Ga.
Maria Sheffield of Dublin, Ga.
The debate is sponsored, in part, by the Richmond County Republican Committee.
WRDW News 12 is carried on Comcast Cannel 10/WRDW HD 233, Atlantic Broadband channel 5/WRDW HD 405 and Knology Channel 10/WRDW HD 902. News 12 is broadcast free over the air at 12.1. News 12 is online at www.wrdw.com.
What issues are most important to you this election year? Let us know in the comments!