Friday, Jan. 10, 2013
COLUMBIA COUNTY, Ga. (WRDW) -- The fire marshal believes the electrical fire started in the attic of the home on Amelia drive. 18-year-old Logan Davenport died in the fire, but his mother and grandfather made it out a live.
Firefighters said it took almost an hour to put out the flames.
Their next door neighbor who was able to pull the homeowner to safety.
Carlton Sanders heard his elderly neighbor crying out for help, and knew what he had to do.
"We went in the house and crawled in because it was so smokey," said Sanders.
Larry Janell had fallen from his wheelchair, but Sanders was able to find him, and save his life.
Sanders tells how he helped pull him to safety, "We could see his hands sticking out of the den and when we did we grabbed him by the hand and drug him across the floor with flames above us on the ceiling."
Sanders has lived in the same home for 23 years and said this is the first tragedy they've had in the neighborhood.
"I don't consider myself heroic. I just wish we could have gotten the young fella."
Sanders tried to go back inside, but wasn't able to get 18- year-old Logan Davenport out in time. Davenport had autism and even though he saved one life, Sanders wished he could have saved two.
"It's the first time I've ever had to do anything like this, and at the time you're doing it you don't even think about what you're doing. You're just trying to save a human being," said Sanders.
Sanders looks at the aftermath of rubble and immense damage that the fire caused, and he said there's not much he could have done differently.
"Even the fire department says they wish we hadn't done what we did, but when you see somebody in there and calling out for help. It was just instinct to try to help that person and I'm glad we saved Larry the grandfather."
The grandfather is being treated at Doctor's hospital for smoke inhalation.
A GoFundMe account has been created for the Davenport family.