Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2014
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. (WRDW) -- An early morning fire leaves a family homeless.
Flames tore through the home on Bridle Path Road Wednesday morning as crews arrived at the scene around 6:30 a.m.
"If we would have stayed asleep, then we would have been in really big trouble," says homeowner Sharon Deal.
Deal says she was getting up for work when she opened one of her bathroom doors and smoke billowed out of the room. She quickly put out a small fire on the floor, but when she looked up through a vent on the ceiling, she saw an inferno burning in the attic.
"I called 911 when I realized we were in big trouble, and they immediately told me they were coming, got my address, and they showed up very quickly. But, by the time they showed up, it was already in flames," she recalls.
Deal along with her daughter and dog made it out of the house uninjured. Firefighters managed to save a lot of pictures, keepsakes, and other sentimental items from the burning home.
Deal thanks the firefighters from North Augusta Department of Public Safety and Belvedere Volunteer Fire Department. She also thanks God.
"If it weren't for Him, I could have still been asleep in the bed and flames engulfed us before I even realized what was going on," she says.
A friend of the family has opened up a memorial account that can be donated to at any Wells Fargo location: "Deal Family Home Memorial" (Set up and cared for by Beth Cutshall).
The family says physical donations can be dropped off at Victory Baptist Church on Martintown Road in North Augusta.
Have information or an opinion about this story? Click here to contact the newsroom.
Copyright WRDW-TV News 12. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished without express written permission.