UPDATE: Deadly Hephzibah fire caused by candle

By: Staff
By: Staff
Fire

(Credit: MGN Online)

Wednesday, March 6, 2014

HEPHZIBAH, Ga. (WRDW) -- A 78-year-old man died after being pulled out of a fire on the 4100 block of Pinnacle Pines Court at 1:04 p.m. Thursday, coroner Mark Bowen said.

The fire was caused by a candle, Lt. Neal Brown said. The apartment did not have a smoke detector.

Earnest Tillman was found in his small apartment unresponsive while the apartment was on fire, Bowen said. Tillman was pulled out of the apartment behind the main residence by family and was pronounced dead at the scene at 1:50 p.m.

Tillman's body will undergo an autopsy in Atlanta tomorrow, the coroner said.

The Richmond County Fire Department and Sheriff’s Office are investigating the incident.


WRDW.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 248892781 - wrdw.com/a?a=248892781