Saturday, Dec. 22, 2012
LINCOLNTON, Ga. -- State fire Investigators say a misplaced space heater caused a fire that killed an elderly woman in Lincoln County.
Officials say the fire started just before 9 a.m. on the 1100 block of Murray-Jones Circle in Lincoln County.
Betty Moss, 64, was killed in the fire.
Investigators have ruled the fire to be accidental. They say it started because the space heater was placed too close to the sofa.
Officials say Moss was home alone at the time and didn't have any working smoke alarms.
With cold weather in the forecast for the next few days, fire officials encourage everyone to be careful when heating their homes.
Have information or an opinion about this story? Click here to contact the newsroom.
Copyright WRDW-TV News 12. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished without express written permission.