News 12 at 11 / Friday, June 20, 2014
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- A baby is at home with his grandmother after deputies say his mom left him in a hot car. Investigators say Alicia Manigault was taking a final exam while her two week old was in the back of her SUV.
News 12 spoke with two of the people who freed the baby and why they don't consider themselves heroes. They may work for different agencies, but their mission is the same.
"You were thebone that went through the window?" Raisa Garnett asked Deputy Jacob Green.
Garnett and Deputy Green are meeting for the first time since they each helped in getting a two week old baby out of a very hot car.
"I've had several people come up to me and say, 'Hey, good job.' It wasn't me. It was everybody involved," Green told News 12.
Deputy green still isn't comfortable with the title hero and says he might never be because team work is what helped save baby Christopher's life.
"The baby had minutes. So, just a little while longer, it could've been a different outcome," he said.
Green says rescuing the newborn covered in sweat is an example of a community working together, firefighters, deputies and a security guard who made a 911 call she'll never forget.
"I don't feel like a hero. I just did what any natural mother would do," Garnett said.
A security guard by day and mom to three boys for life, Garnett says a man told her the sound of a crying baby was coming from the SUV.
"I was getting ready to walk off, and then I looking in the side window and I saw the baby. He looked at me and started crying and shaking. I looked again and said, 'Dang, that's a baby,'" she said.
The newborn's mother is in jail and will face a judge on Monday. If and when she gets the chance to hold her baby again, it will be thanks to a lot of folks, but especially Deputy Green and Raisa Garnett. It was the instincts of the dad in Deputy Green to squeeze through the sunroof to unlock the car and the instincts of the mom in Garnett who made the call before it was too late.
Besides accidents, heatstroke is the number one car-related killer for kids. Every ten days a child dies from overheating in a car, statistics show.