Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2012
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- The S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control has confirmed the first flu-associated death of the season.
The victim was a child from Barnwell County.
DHEC is also noting an "earlier-than-normal increase in influenza activity," saying it has reached "widespread" levels in the state.
Flu symptoms include:
- Sudden onset of fever
- Dry cough
- Muscle aches
- Sore throat
- Nasal congestion or stuffiness
DHEC also released the following flu prevention guidelines:
- Staying away from people who are sick.
- Staying home from work, school and errands if you are sick.
- Covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. Use a tissue if one is handy. Throw it away immediately after use. Otherwise, use your upper sleeve.
- Washing your hands often and thoroughly.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs are often spread when someone touches something that is covered with germs and then touches their eyes, nose or mouth.