News 12 at 11 o'clock / Wednesday, May 15, 2013
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. (WRDW) -- Theresa Kinard woke up to a nightmare.
"I was asleep, and when he came, he was like, 'Momma, momma get out, the house is on fire,'" she said.
She hoped all of this was just a bad dream, but when she ran outside, things became very real.
"Smoke was everywhere, flames were everywhere, I'm worried about the dogs in the house, you know, just trying to get everyone out," she said.
Neighbors say the fire started in the bottom right apartment across from where Kinard and her two kids lived on Conifer Court.
"We got everybody else out," Kinard said. "When we saw the front door, everything just went in flames."
Others around saw the fire and even felt the heat.
"It got hot really fast," said Tahitian Dukes, a neighbor in the area.
Dukes says she heard sirens and started to panic.
"My heart started beating. I got scared because I thought it was going to spread really fast," Dukes said.
Her apartment isn't even 100 feet away, but North Augusta Public Safety was able to get it under control.
In the end, the fire destroyed a building that housed four families, all who lost their home and all of their belongings.
"We're all at a loss for words. We've all lost everything, everything is gone," she said.
Something Kinard wasn't expecting -- not today, not at all.
"It's hard enough starting over, and then you have to start over with kids and trying to replace everything that you lost, including a place to live, we have nowhere now," Kinard said.
And for these neighbors, it will take time, but even though they lost everything, they didn't lose their lives.
"It's better to lose personal things than a human being. You can always get those things back, but you can never get a person back," Dukes said.
Something that is keeping Kinard standing strong.
"We will, we will make it through this," she told News 12.
Neighbors say the cause of the fire was from a stove that was left on, but officials have not confirmed what the final cause of the fire was.
If you are interested in helping those families who were misplaced because of the fire, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have information or an opinion about this story? Click here to contact the newsroom.
Copyright WRDW-TV News 12. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished without express written permission.