Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2014
AIKEN COUNTY, S.C. (WRDW) -- The couple that lived in the home said they're in complete shock after two fires broke out in the place they've called home for 25 years.
Langley and Beech Island firefighters responded to Wall Street off Cherry Street around 12:30 a.m. and were able to put out the blaze, but were called back out around 4:30 a.m. for a rekindle. The fire was fully involved when they returned, Aiken County dispatch said.
A neighbor, who said she's known the couple for years, was devastated after helplessly watching the flames consume the home early Tuesday morning.
"I told my husband. Get up Judy and Samphy's house is on fire. He jumped up and I ran out my back door and I can see the smoke and everything and I'm hollering 'They sleep up stairs, they sleep up stairs' and [Judy] hollered 'We're out, we're out we're over here.'," neighbor Jane Davis said.
The fire had been contained to the first floor initially, but destroyed the home when it rekindled.
The woman who lived in the house told News 12 she'd already lost both of her children and all that was left went up in smoke along with her home.
"You just stand there and there's nothing you can do. You can watch them lose everything that they've got. [They] worked all of their lives and it just goes up in flames." Davis said.
Davis says above all she's thankful her neighbors listened to their four-legged guardian angel.
"The little black and white dog. She's amazing," Davis said. "She saved them. She would not leave her alone and if it hadn't have been for her, she wouldn't have got up."
Have information or an opinion about this story? Click here to contact the newsroom.
Copyright WRDW-TV News 12. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished without express written permission.