UPDATE | Crew member, patient okay after ambulance explosion

By: Staff
By: Staff

Thursday, June 12, 2014

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- The driver, paramedic and patient are doing fine after ambulance wiring caused an explosion on Wednesday, Pat Hickson, a Capital City Ambulance owner, said.

The driver noticed smoke coming from the driver's compartment and pulled over, he said. The paramedic removed the patient and what he needed to help the patient.

Smoke appeared from some ambulance wiring and a small portable oxygen tank exploded, he said. The paramedic removed the large tank in time, but couldn't grab the small one in time. All three people were far enough away to only suffer smoke inhalation.

"After the investigation, we want to thank the crew for their actions," Hickson said.

Wiring fires are common and ambulances go through regular checks, he said. The ambulance company is investigating how the explosion happened.

No names will be released at this time, he said.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- A crew member and a patient have been taken to University Hospital for smoke inhalation after an ambulance caught fire on Wednesday, Capital City Ambulance said.

Both appear to be in good condition and the company owner is there checking on both of them, they said.


WRDW.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 262769191 - wrdw.com/a?a=262769191
Gray Television, Inc.