Thursday, June 12, 2014
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- The driver, paramedic and patient are doing fine after ambulance wiring caused an explosion on Wednesday, Pat Hickson, a Capital City Ambulance owner, said.
The driver noticed smoke coming from the driver's compartment and pulled over, he said. The paramedic removed the patient and what he needed to help the patient.
Smoke appeared from some ambulance wiring and a small portable oxygen tank exploded, he said. The paramedic removed the large tank in time, but couldn't grab the small one in time. All three people were far enough away to only suffer smoke inhalation.
"After the investigation, we want to thank the crew for their actions," Hickson said.
Wiring fires are common and ambulances go through regular checks, he said. The ambulance company is investigating how the explosion happened.
No names will be released at this time, he said.
Wednesday, June 11, 2014
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- A crew member and a patient have been taken to University Hospital for smoke inhalation after an ambulance caught fire on Wednesday, Capital City Ambulance said.
Both appear to be in good condition and the company owner is there checking on both of them, they said.