News 12 at 11 o'clock / Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2012
AUGUSTA, Ga. -- A deadly fire has led to a $1,250,000 settlement.
Augusta commissioners agreed to pay the $1,250,000 to settle a pending lawsuit that dates back to August 2006. The suit claims an Augusta employee failed to perform the reconnect inspection on a mobile home in compliance with Augusta procedures.
Ryan Holt, 18, and Michelle Borror, 20, died of smoke inhalation weeks after the suit claims a city worker failed to make sure the mobile home had functional smoke detectors.
Commissioner Alvin Mason voted against the settlement.
"I just think we are a little bit loose on the purse strings," he said. "It's time that we tighten up. Everybody is talking about suing. They looking at Augusta-Richmond County and they see the deep pockets."
Mason says it is not clear where the money will come from to cover the settlement.
Have information or an opinion about this story? Click here to contact the newsroom.
Copyright WRDW-TV News 12. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished without express written permission.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.