Thursday, June 6, 2013
Nicholas Holcomb (WRDW-TV)
BARNWELL COUNTY, S.C. (WRDW) -- The alleged bomb-maker, Nicholas Holcomb, has been booked into the Barnwell County Detention Center.
Holcomb has been charged with possession of a destructive device. On Thursday, Holcomb's bond was set at $75,000.
News 12 reached out to SLED for comment again Thursday but didn't hear back.
On Wednesday, multiple law enforcement sources told News 12 that a bomb was found in Holcomb's mobile home.
By law, a destructive device could mean a bomb, an incendiary device, a chemical weapon, a biological weapon or any device improvised to cause harm.
Wednesday, June 5, 2013
BARNWELL COUNTY, S.C. (WRDW) -- News 12 is told by a Hilda resident that law enforcement officers and agents were on scene for hours on Arrowhead Drive in Hilda. They left shortly before dusk.
According to the mother of Nicholas Holcomb, her son is in police custody possibly in connection to the device. She tells News 12 that upon returning from an Augusta shopping trip, she was greeted by dozens of unmarked SUVs in her front and backyard. She says in addition to searching her son's nearby mobile home, the agents took assault rifles from her home that belonged to her son.
She says she saw the Federal Bureau of Investigations, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division and the Barnwell County Sheriff's Office all on the scene.
She says she doesn't believe her son would have made a bomb threat. She didn't know if her son had been charged yet, but she confirmed that her son was in police custody.
Multiple law enforcement sources confirmed to News 12 that an explosive device was found Wednesday.
Barnwell County Sheriff Ed Carroll would not comment. He says SLED will be handling the active and ongoing case.
SLED spokesperson Kathryn Richardson said the case was active and ongoing, too, but she would not go into details.