News 12 at 6 o'clock / Wednesday, June 12, 2013
BLYTHE, Ga. (WRDW) -- An 11-year-old boy is out of the hospital and recovering at home in Blythe after a viscous dog attack. What shocks his family the most -- it's a neighbor's pet he's known for years that never showed any signs of aggression.
"I was going to feed him and pet him and all of a sudden he just jumped up and started biting me," said 11-year-old Ronald Roberts.
Ronald never thought he would spend his summer like this.
"Oh God, he was just a bloody mess," said his grandmother, Jeannette Sapp. "He was frightened, he was shaking ... hyperventilating."
Sapp had just brought her grandson home after a trip to the beach and just like any other day, Ronald wanted to play with his friend just down the street.
"So he went down there, and I got a call, I guess 30 ... 45 minutes later," she said.
On the other line, news that Ronald had been attacked by the neighbor's American bulldog, Woody.
"My face was all bloody and my shirt was covered with blood," Ronald said.
The family shared pictures of Ronald's injuries when he arrived at the hospital.
They are difficult to look at -- and very graphic -- but they wanted to share them.
"He has 14 staples in his head due to this," Sapp explained. "He has seven stitches in his chin. He has a big plug took out over his heart. Plus, he tried to bite his ear."
Sapp says her grandson's been playing at the neighbor's home for the last three years. Neither are sure why the dog decided to suddenly attack.
"The dog knew him," she said. "The dog knew him."
Ronald says it happened in an instant, but doctors say it's going to take a long time for him to recover.
"It could take up to six months, with the skull fracture, too," Sapp said.
Neither are blaming Woody's owners, but now, Sapp says she learned a valuable lesson.
"I never dreamed it would happen to my grandson so, that's the reason I want parents, grandparents, whoever to be aware of where you send your child to because you don't know what might happen," Sapp said.
The Blythe Police Department responded. Officers gave the neighbors a ticket because they couldn't provide paperwork from Woody's vet about a rabies vaccination. So far, no charges have been filed.
Have information or an opinion about this story? Click here to contact the newsroom.
Copyright WRDW-TV News 12. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished without express written permission.