Local Update - March 26, 2007

Viewing for fallen deputy today

A viewing will be held today for Richmond County deputy Eric Sikes. He died last week after crashing his patrol car on his way to work.

His viewing will be at the Thomas King Funeral Home on Davis Road.

It starts at 6 and ends at 8.

Funeral services are tomorrow at the Warren Baptist Church on Washington Road at 11 am.

Two die in Grovetown fire

An autopsy is scheduled this morning for two people killed in a blaze yesterday.

It happened at 415 Whiskey Road in Grovetown, just after midnight.

Columbia County deputy coroner Bonnie King says 47-year-old David Inglett and a 50-year-old woman were both killed when their home caught fire.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Men wanted by US marshals could be in North Augusta, Washington

US marshals are trying to locate two wanted suspects.

The first man is Mack Nelson. He's wanted for a probation violation. Nelson has a history of violent crime and is considered armed and dangerous.

He is believed to be in the North Augusta area.

The second man is Leotis Lester. He's wanted in Palm Beach County, Florida for first degree murder.

US marshals say Lester has been seen in the Washington, Georgia area.

The warrant for Lester comes after a homicide during an attempted robbery.

If you know where either of these two men is, call the police.

Driver could face charges in car accident that caused father's death

The driver in a fatal accident that killed his father is recovering this morning.

He could now face charges.

The accident happened around 5 o'clock Saturday evening (March 24) in Hephzibah in the 4000 block of Mike Padgett Highway, near Goshen Road.

51-year-old Ike Coleman of Augusta was pronounced dead at the scene.

Deputy coroner Charlena Graham says Coleman was the passenger and was ejected from the vehicle when the driver, his son, lost control.

The driver was taken to MCG by ambulance.

We're told charges are pending.

Plane lands without gear down at Augusta Regional

Augusta Regional Airport is back up and running after a big scare yesterday.

A plane came down without the use of its landing gear.

The airport was shut down between 3 and 4 o'clock while crews worked to clear that aircraft from the runway.

The unexpected delay left some travelers waiting.

I have come to expect delays as par for the course," said Jamieson Gallagher. "I know some people like to book flights close together. I intentionally book flights with an hour and a half (layover) minimum."

Crews originally thought it would take them more than two hours to clear the runway, but they cleared it in less than one.

Flights began taking off immediately, and no one was injured in the accident.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus