Thomson man killed in hit and run

By  | 

September 2, 2006

A mother mourns the loss of her son while Georgia State Patrol continues searching for a suspect in a late night hit and run in McDuffie County.

An early morning accident took the life of 41-year old Michael Adams of Thomson, and his family wants answers.

"I was shocked to pieces," said Ella Mae Robinson, Adams' aunt.

"Everybody is shocked to hear," said Adams' mother, Rose Borboun. "One day he's here and the next day he's not, and there wasn't nothing wrong with him."

The morning after Borboun's loss, her phone was ringing off the hook from friends and relatives asking why her son Michael's life came to an early end.

"It's kind of hard to think of your child lying out there in the middle of the road...and you don't know how many cars hit him," she told News 12.

Adams' body was found around 2 o'clock Saturday morning.

Authorities believe he was walking down Cobbham Road when he was struck by a vehicle. His body was dragged for thirty to fifty feet before finally coming to rest near the Beggs funeral home.

Borboun can't bear the thought of seeing the crime scene for herself.

"We loved him," she said. "I am just full of mixed emotions, numb."

"Michael, I loved him very much. I love him like my own son," said Robinson.

Michael is survived by his only child.

"He's 12 years old. And he's going to miss him a lot. This is going to be hard on him," Borboun said.

Even worse, she still doesn't know who is to blame.

Officials say the driver fled, and little evidence - not even skid marks - was left behind.

"I hope their conscience bothers them enough to turn themselves in," Robinson said. "Tell us what happened, how it happened. Just be honest."

"My prayers go out to the person that hit and run, and I pray to God that they come forward and let us know what happened," Borboun said.

The medical examiner confirms Adams died from multiple blunt force trauma. It has been ruled an accident.

The coroner says results from further tests like a toxicology report could take three months to get back.

Georgia State Patrol is handling this case. Anyone with any information is urged to call law enforcement immediately.