Natalee Holloway may not have been murdered

By  | 

The case of missing Alabama teen Natalee Holloway is one of the most widely discussed missing persons cases in years.

This is the last known picture of her--taken just before she disappeared on Aruba last spring.

What happened to her?

Correspondent Troy Roberts of 48 Hours Mystery joined News 12's Tom Campbell live by satellite on March 24.

Gerold Dompig, deputy chief of police in Aruba and the man leading the investigation into the disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway, says he feels strongly that Holloway was not murdered, but probably died from complications involving alcohol and, possibly, drugs as well. Dompig makes his remarks in an exclusive interview with 48 HOURS Correspondent Troy Roberts that will be broadcast on 48 HOURS MYSTERY: "Natalee Holloway: New Clues in Paradise," Saturday, March 25 (10:00-11:00 PM) on the CBS Television Network.

The chief investigator tells Roberts that he has credible witnesses who say the young woman had drugs in her possession. Dompig also says police have witnesses who claim Holloway was drinking "excessively" on the day she disappeared.

Deputy Chief Dompig tells 48 HOURS that drugs are now part of the investigation.

Roberts: "Have you been able to confirm whether Natalee Holloway purchased or consumed illegal narcotics during her stay here [Aruba]?"
Dompig: "We have statements claiming that she had drugs."
Roberts: "What kind of drugs?"
Dompig: "I cannot say."

Chief investigator Dompig goes on to say, "We do not have proof that [Natalee] used drugs, but that [witnesses] saw her with drugs in her possession."

Police say Holloway was last seen with Joran van der Sloot and brothers Deepak and Satish Kalpoe. Dompig says all three remain prime suspects in the case.

Deputy Chief Dompig says he now believes that Natalee Holloway was not murdered. "We feel strongly that she probably went into shock or something happened to her system with all the alcohol -- maybe on top of that, other drugs, which either she took or they gave her -- and that she…just collapsed."

The deputy chief believes that after Holloway's death there was a panicked cover-up. Dompig says the investigation has entered a "critical last phase."