Pastor Shot Making Plans After Recovery

By  | 

February 9, 2006
It’s the first time in a long time one Graniteville man is getting to spend some time outdoors. Reverend Earl Carter is one of three people shot last year at a Huddle House on Highway 25 in North Augusta. News 12 spends some time with the pastor who doesn’t want to sit for long.

“One day we were at the hospital for 9 hours straight,” Rev. Earl Carter said.

His tracheotomy’s gone, his feeding tube is out and Earl Carter’s making plans.

“In these coming days, I wanna enjoy my two new grandbabies, and be with my family and friends,” Carter said. “I’m ready for it, I’m ready to start serving the Lord and I’m ready to go fishing.”

Half his eyesight is gone in his right eye. His left arm and hand still aren’t 100%, but this pastor’s sense of humor is.

“And everywhere I go in restaurants, they recognize me. My wife said that celebrity status is gone run out. She said what you gone do now, I said I’ll have to start payin’, won’t I?” Carter said.

Fine with Reverend Carter. He’s just glad to eat real food again. And he can’t wait to do some cooking for friends in this café behind his house. It’s a spot that holds a lot of memories.

It’s been almost two and a half months since Reverend Carter was shot and his friend, Bill Powell, was shot and killed right here in the Huddle House parking lot. And despite hundreds of leads, police still don’t have a killer in custody.

“He’s out there somewhere,” Carter said. “It may take a while, but he’ll make a mistake and they’ll catch him.”

In the meantime, while the community spends their time praying for Rev. Carter’s full recovery, he’s doing some praying of his own.

“But I don’t have hard feelings. I pray for him everyday, I’m talking about every day,” Carter said.

Words from a man who’s just grateful to be around.

Reverend Carter says he hopes to start preaching some time next month, if his doctor says he can. He’s thankful to his community for their prayers and support.