Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- A 2-year-old is recovering in the hospital after being rescued from a burning home on Sunday night.
Firefighters say there were two people inside the home on the 500 block of Carr Street when the fire started just after 8:30 p.m.
The adult was able to get out, but we're told he wasn't able to get to the child.
Battalion Chief Chris Reed says the fire started from a pot on the stove in the kitchen. Firefighters say it took them more than an hour to get everything under control.
Neighbors were in shock when firefighters pulled out the child and he wasn't moving.
"I was thinking like I was back in Iraq. You have to do your job. You have to get somebody out. If you can't get them out, it's too sad, but you tried your best," said witness Eric Evans.
"One of my engine companies pulled the child out through a bedroom window. Gold Cross transported the child to MCG. I don't know the condition of the child," Reed said.
The house is a total loss and the condition of the child is unknown.
News 12 will keep you updated as more information comes into the newsroom.