UPDATE: 2-year-old child rescued from burning home

By: Ryan Houston Email
By: Ryan Houston Email

Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- A 2-year-old is recovering in the hospital after being rescued from a burning home on Sunday night.

Firefighters say there were two people inside the home on the 500 block of Carr Street when the fire started just after 8:30 p.m.

The adult was able to get out, but we're told he wasn't able to get to the child.

Battalion Chief Chris Reed says the fire started from a pot on the stove in the kitchen. Firefighters say it took them more than an hour to get everything under control.

Neighbors were in shock when firefighters pulled out the child and he wasn't moving.

"I was thinking like I was back in Iraq. You have to do your job. You have to get somebody out. If you can't get them out, it's too sad, but you tried your best," said witness Eric Evans.

"One of my engine companies pulled the child out through a bedroom window. Gold Cross transported the child to MCG. I don't know the condition of the child," Reed said.

The house is a total loss and the condition of the child is unknown.

News 12 will keep you updated as more information comes into the newsroom.

Have information or an opinion about this story? Click here to contact the newsroom.

Copyright WRDW-TV News 12. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished without express written permission.

WRDW.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 190632991 - wrdw.com/a?a=190632991
Gray Television, Inc.