Fire officials say the huge fire
in the Universal Studios back lot was ignited accidentally by
Los Angeles County Fire Chief Michael Freeman says the workers
were using a blowtorch to heat asphalt shingles being applied to a
structure early Sunday morning.
The fire was spotted after the workers were on a break.
As for reports of low water pressure, Freeman says that's being
investigated. But he points out it may have been due to the volume
of water being poured on the blaze -- 18,000 gallons a minute.
Meanwhile, the Universal Studios theme park reopened today,
giving tourists a view of real-life disaster in the make-believe
world of Hollywood.
The smell of smoke hung in the air as guests streamed in when
the gates reopened. Tourists on the park's tram ride applauded
firefighters as they drove past.