Prison Clean-Up Crew Finds Guns

By  | 

September 28, 2005
They were state inmates working as part of a clean-up crew in Augusta, and what they found could have been dangerous. Those state prisoners were cleaning up an overgrown lot Wednesday morning off of Martin Luther King Blvd. But that work came to an abrupt end when they found some weapons. News 12 is on your side to show you what they found and what officers are saying about how the guns got there.

The inmates were on a routine job clearing out debris at the 1200 block off Kent Street when an officer found something unusual.

“Found two weapons, one 12-guage shotgun with the stock broken and a .22 Marlo rifle,” said Lt. Raymond Freeman.

Officials think tractors out here clearing debris earlier in the week accidentally tore open this trash bag exposing the gun inside. And it’s not the first time this has happened.

“They were over there cleaning and this is probably the second time they’ve found things in that area in a similar fashion,” said Lt. Tony Walden.

Lieutenant Freeman says it’s really not that uncommon.

“It happens occasionally when detail’s working on roads they find knives, weapons, stuff like that maybe someone’s alluding police and they throw a weapon out of the car,” Freeman said.

In this case, the guns are in such bad condition that they were not a threat to the officers on duty.

“This is the 12-guage shotgun that was found and as you can see it’s in pretty bad shape, it’s obviously been out there for years for the wood to be rotted like that,” Walden said.

Rotted and so rusted that they don’t even know if the guns were loaded.

“We can’t even open it to see if there’s a round in there,” Walden said.

“That’s why it’s essential the officers are always on alert when working with inmates,” Freeman said.

Inmates and officers who are cleaning up Augusta in some surprising ways.

Back in June, another inmate work crew found seven fire arms, some of them loaded, on the same property. As soon as the weapons were found Wednesday morning, the detail crew was immediately pulled of the job so officers could determine what they’d found.