Updated--Deadly house fire

By: Stacey Hilton/Tom Campbell Email
By: Stacey Hilton/Tom Campbell Email

March 11, 2008

AUGUSTA, Ga.-- 61 year old Willie Newton died in an early morning house fire.

It happened in the 1600 bllock of Luckey Street, which is off 15th Street in Augusta.

Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen told News 12 Mr. Newton was disabled, confined to a wheelchair and lived alone.

The fire started around 4:45 Tuesday morning.

The coroner says they found Newton in a bedroom in the house. He had extensive burns.

Fire investigators think several extension cords in the bedroom led to an electrical overload and that caused the fire.


WRDW.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 16491271 - wrdw.com/a?a=16491271