Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2013
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- Twelve Georgians have been indicted for their roles in a fraudulent income tax refund ring.
Investigators say the 12 defendants planned to file at least 90 false tax returns using stolen identities, totaling over $500,000.
The IRS Criminal Investigation, the FBI and the Richmond County Sheriff's Office assisted in the 14-month investigation.
The following people have been indicted:
- Angela Willingham, 40, Hephzibah
- Santana Willingham, 23, Hephzibah
- James Butler, 21, Hephzibah
- Dentavia McNair, 23, Augusta
- Brittney Wright, 25, Evans
- Janice Smalley, 47, Augusta
- Patrice Roberson, 36, Waynesboro
- Cheryl Willingham, 37, Augusta
- Matthew Harrington, 45, Savannah
- Santrece Willingham, 22, Hephzibah
- Lasandra Whitfield, 42, Waynesboro
- Kelly Barton, 35, Augusta