September 27, 2007
FAIRFAX, S.C.---Crews were working late this afternoon to clean up an ammonium hydroxide spill at the Grant Forest plant in Fairfax, just southeast of Allendale. Around six thousand gallons of the chemical were spilled when crews were attempting to fill a tank outside the plant.
All of the chemical was caught by a containment device.
Air Gas, the provider of the ammonium hydroxide, was en route to clean up the spill.
Vapors and mists from the chemical can cause irritation to the respiratory tract. Higher concentrations can cause burns and even death.
In this case, no injuries have been reported.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.