Pasta sauce is another basic staple to keep on hand. Tomato sauce is not something you think would be high in fat, but some varieties can have up to 9g fat and more than 700mg sodium. Since pasta sauce is a staple ingredient, it is a good idea to find the healthiest version you like to keep on hand.
Nutrition guidelines for Italian tomato based pasta sauce are:
- 3g fat or less per ½ cup
- Less than 400mg sodium or less per ½ cup
- 10% Vitamin A per ½ cup
There are many tomato based pasta sauces available these days which makes finding a healthy one very easy, here are some that I found at our local stores:
- Prego®: Any of the heart smart varieties meets the suggested nutrition guidelines
- Muir Glenn®: Chunky tomato, Garden vegetable, Portabella mushroom
Ragu® light: Marinara
- Classico®: Basil and tomato
- Amy’s Low sodium marinara: Is particularly low with 100mg sodium per serving.