Pasta is pretty straight forward really and it is a great staple item to keep in your pantry. To get the most nutrition bang for your buck go for the whole wheat version. It will have more fiber and more nutrients than the refined version.
- Whole grain pasta is a great meal starter.
- Whole wheat should be the first ingredient in the ingredient list.
- If your family does not like whole wheat pasta, whole wheat pasta blends are available in which case whole wheat may be the second ingredient in the list.
- Barrilla Plus is not “whole wheat” but a whole grain blend of flour, oats, spelt and barley as well as ground flax and wheat fiber. It has a more mild taste and also may be accepted well if your family is resistant to full whole wheat pasta.
- Suggestions to help encourage whole wheat pastas:
- Serve whole wheat pasta with spicy sauce.
- Add it to soups, the flavors of the soup will overshadow the whole wheat flavor and the texture of whole wheat pasta stands up well in a soup.
- Use whole wheat pasta in casseroles like lasagna, there is so much else going on flavor-wise that no one will ever know. Enjoy!!
If the shape of noodle or spaghetti you are looking for is not available in whole wheat, it is fine to eat refined pasta, just opt for the whole wheat version whenever it is available and make half your grains for the day whole grains.
Until next time, shop well and eat well!